Button Batteries

Button batteries power everything from remote controls to singing greeting cards. Often smaller than a quarter, these increasingly popular batteries can be deadly if swallowed.

Nearly 12,000 children under the age of six years old swallowed the batteries from 2008 to 2012, according to the National Poison Data System. The number of serious injuries or deaths as a result of button batteries has increased nine-fold in the last decade.

Once a child swallows a button battery, there’s a ticking clock to get medical attention. A child could suffer severe burns to the esophagus within just two hours.

Click here for safety tips about button batteries courtesy of Safe Kids Worldwide.

Available characters remaining:
Span Validation
refresh button help button
Hint: enter up to eight alpha characters
Children's Services Council of Palm Beach County
2300 High Ridge Road, Boynton Beach, FL 33426
561-740-7000 or 1-800-331-1462
561-835-1956
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records.
If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.
© 2017 Children's Services Council of Palm Beach County